Many marketers want to learn how to write better copy to sell or improve market recognition. Your written business materials are outdated, irrelevant or simply do not reflect the current state of your business. How can you get the best product with the most efficient use of your resources? You want high quality business materials designed to attract exactly your target market. You need to feel confident and proud when you hand over written materials, or give out your website address.
You want writing that explains what you do in such a way that you predictably get inquiries, questions, contacts and opportunities to discuss your services and products as a result of providing the information. What do you need to keep in mind as you go through the revision process?
5 Tips on How To Write Better Copy
1. Make it about them, not about you. Don’t brag about all your qualifications. That’s not going to get you their attention and interest. It’s certainly not what you lead with – unless you want to turn prospects off forever. Talk about THEM. Know your target market so thoroughly that you are able to describe their lives and their problems as they experience them. Be especially detailed in describing the problem you can help them solve. You must be able to present this information in such a way that they instantly recognize that you “get” the problems they are dealing with.
2. Create a “writing system” – a sequence of documents each designed to more deeply distinguish your business from others, and move potential clients one step closer to working with you. A writing system works like this – your tagline arouses curiosity and interest. Your elevator speech creates interest and attention. Your one page executive summary gives a high level description of the way your business works. Your website gives all the in-depth information. Special reports and articles demonstrate various facets of your expertise. Each piece intrigues and explains and increases the comfort your target market feels in getting to know you better and approach you. You end up with a piece of information that is appropriate at every step of the process of converting a prospect to a client. All the written pieces are coordinated as a whole and the system produces predictable responses.
3. Get expert help. This will save you money and time and deliver better results – more clients and more revenue. Unless you’re an expert marketing writer, your efforts will be amateurish and ineffective. If you are an expert marketing writer, you probably will be too busy working your business to devote the time that this writing project needs. Is it a savings to not take care of business and to lose revenue so that you can save the cost of a professional writer?
4. Be crystal clear on your target market. Don’t forget that they need to have a budget for your services – if they don’t, can they truly be your target market? The more intimately you know, understand and can describe those prospects that you want as clients, the more effective your written materials will be. If you don’t have depth of knowledge of your market, you’re targeting incorrectly. Either change your target or do what it takes to get that knowledge and experience.
5. Set yourself apart from other businesses with your description of the benefits and results that your clients have experienced. These benefits and results need to be described from the viewpoint of your existing or former clients. Do this in such a way that your readers FEEL how great those results feel to get. You want to invoke hope and desire for those same results in your prospects.
These how to write better copy tips should be comething that you keep close to you and remember whenever you sit in front of a blank word processor window.
How to Write Better Copy – Revising Old Materials
Revising your written business materials is a big task. Make sure that you get a final products that brings you clients and revenue – consistently and predictably.
Suzi Elton provides business writing that attracts targeted prospects to your service business and converts them into clients for you. She is a Robert Middleton Certified Action Plan Marketing Coach, as well as a professional writer. Her website offers a free series of 8 assessments you can use to analyze your own site.
To learn about her Robert Middleton style Web Site Tool Kit Writing Package, go to http://www.wowfactorwriting.com/services/web-site-tool-kit-package/
So remember to practice your craft often and to always look at improving what you are doing in creating copy. I hope that these how to wrote better copy tips will help you always.